Monday, July 21, 2008

Entries through June 27, 2008

Hello again! I'm sorry it's been so long, the time seems to speed by sometimes. We had a little bit of time to visit with our grandson while he was home, then he went back to CA on June 15. I've had some back pain, I'm not sure if I just turned wrong or if helping Terry with some new exercises is the problem. We DID modify the exercises some so that it's easier for me, and I AM on the mend. The motorcycle benefit ride went well. The weather was great that day (it rained the week before AND the week after!). There weren't a lot of riders, but the money raised was definitely helpful. Terry and I were also interviewed for "Steel Horse", a motorcycle show on channel 23. We have passed day 500 since the accident. I look back now and then and I'm AMAZED at how far God has brought us. One year ago, Terry could do VERY little for himself. He had NO muscle, except in his right arm, and that was weak. Now, he's WALKING without the aid of ANYONE!! We don't even hold on for safety anymore, because it's unnecessary. Terry walked 143 feet in one try last week, then repeated that this week. His average is about 70 feet. He looks forward to when his average is over 100. At the rate he is improving, I think it will be soon! He has so many muscles that are beginning to be useful! There were several that were "asleep" just a short time ago. Now it's almost as if EACH DAY there are visible, BIG gains! James has had him working on standing balance in the parallel bars. That brought back memories of December and the steps he took in the bars. The difference is HUGE!!! He stands up as if it's the easiest thing in the world. He still uses the bars for balance, but as he gets stronger, he won't need to hold on. James wants to do a home evaluation visit. Hopefully, he will give us pointers on how to best transition from how it is now to a better situation. I think we've gotten into some habits that should change as Terry gets better and more able to do for himself. Terry is having more pain, as well. We're not sure if it's caused by the increased activity or just changes in his ability to feel. Either way, we pray the pain will become more manageable. That's about all for now. I'll write again soon. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. We need BOTH!! God bless you! Lynn

No comments: